An early birthday treat for my Primary students. King Arthur promised a yield of one dozen, but instead the recipe produced 18 slightly overfilled treats. Next time, I will leave out the chocolate chips, so that I can pipe the batter into the pans as usual--the chips were too big to go through the tip of the piping bag, so it was necessary to use a spoon. The mix of milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips made them more exciting to my students, but was not necessary to make these taste good.
I usually teach the oldest children in our Primary (Valiant 10), but today there was a meeting for everyone eight years old and older, so I got to teach all the younger children instead! The reading assignment was the entire book of Galatians, which includes a discussion of the Fruit of the Spirit. We used the coloring page from this blog post by Penny Pinching Mom (I changed the labels on three of the fruit to match what it says in the King James Version of the Bible) and discussed what all of those big words mean. It was fun to structure a lesson for younger children and to learn together!
This was a good recipe from Wilton! I used half whole wheat and half white flour and omitted the nuts called for in the recipe. The yield was a baker's dozen, although the baker tested one to make sure it was all right before taking the photograph! The doughnuts themselves tasted so good that it seemed excessive to frost them, so a dusting of powdered sugar (using a fancy OXO tool that Rachel gave me last Christmas) was in order. Next time, we'll double the recipe!
How could I resist trying this recipe? Could have used more specific instructions -- does two graham crackers mean two squares or two sheets (I tried the latter this time, and it came out a bit crumbly, so maybe they meant the former), and how big should the balls be (I guessed and came out with 14 instead of twelve)? I substituted soy powder and butter for the expensive Orgain and almond butter. My milk chocolate chips and starmallows went into the food processor and were briefly pulsed with everything else, for a more homogeneous texture. The result was a bit sweeter than my usual homemade protein snacks (the pumpkin and chocolate ones are my favorites), but still a fairly healthy way to eat graham crackers and chocolate!
A thank-you card using a different section of the same 12x12 page as the Hot Chocolate card. I love all the sparkles!
When Abigail was in preschool, her favorite book was a counting classic entitled When Grandpa and I Went to the Park. At the end of the story, in our version, the little girl and her grandfather went home and drank hot chocolate. After hundreds of iterations, Abigail learned to read. She laughed a lot when she read the last page: "Then we went home and drank our tea." In the same spirit, here is my card, Hot Chocolate is Sweet!
King Arthur said that this Baked Doughnuts recipe would yield twelve, so I decided to double it. Partway through the mixing process, it became evident that there would be enough batter for significantly more than 24 doughnuts. The end result was thirty-four delicious orbs; plenty to share with friends!
Time for another card challenge! The shaker window is made from two layers of acetate packaging, sandwiched between the card base and the pink layer, so that it is see-through when the card is opened. The "love" is actually a drop-in from a Stephanie Barnard set, trimmed a little to serve a different purpose, and the little hearts were left over from other die cutting projects. It was very satisfying to repurpose tools and supplies!
This pattern from The Hook Nook Life was so cute and fun to make! I changed the faces a bit and gave the girls another ruffle on their skirts to make them look more like tutus. A good project for using small quantities of stash yarn!
Here are the instructions for the top skirt ruffle (used instead of "Front of skirt" in the original pattern):
Row 1: Starting in the second chain from hook, sc 42.
Row 2: ch 1 and turn, (inc, sc 6) 6x. 48 st.
Row 3: ch 1 and turn, (inc, sc 7) 6x. 54 st.
Row 4: (ch 3, 3 dc into same st as sl st, sk next 2 sts, sl st into next st); 18 clusters.
Attach to the puppet, with the ends of the rows in back. A little gathering will be necessary.
This recipe looked like a good way to use up some coconut palm sugar without being overwhelmed by its flavor. My only substitution was using all whole-wheat flour instead of some white. There was enough batter for 24 muffins, which were moist and pleasant.
The author curates an extensive collection of cupcake papers, sprinkles, yarn, paper, stickers, and sheet music, and attempts to find uses for said items.
Copy the link above to add Cupcakes and Cherry Blossoms to your RSS Feed of choice!